1905 - 1976
Wilbur Harwell was postmaster in Oxford from 1935 to 1971. The Harwell Family owned the commercial building on the corner of Emory and Clark Streets, formally known as the Henderson Store, originally built as a combination general store and U.S. Post Office. The store was later sold to R.F. Harwell, the father of Wilbur and Branham (“Cotton”) Harwell and became Harwell’s Grocery Store. While Wilbur Harwell ran the post office, his father ran the store. After his father died, Branham took over the management of the store.